Saturday, October 15, 2005

Sludge Factor 12

daltongirl asked...

Why is there an eighteen-inch-long streak of crusted orange sludge on the wall of my hallway at about shoulder level (my shoulder)? I am 5'6". My boys are over six feet tall, making the streak about elbow-level for them. My daughter is five feet tall, putting it at her exact height. No one here seems to have an explanation for the crusted sludge. While you're at it, tell me how to get it off. It seems to be impervious to cleaning solution of any kind. So far the only answer I can come up with is to move, leaving the kids here.


14/10/05 7:58 AM

Stupid said...

Your problem is perplexing, but I think I can help you.

First of all, you describe your mysterious substance as “sludge.” Then you say it is crusty and doesn’t scrub off. I am confused is it sludgy, or is it crusty? Because sludge is soft—you could scrape it off with a tortilla chip if you wanted. I am going to assume you mean it is a crusty stain, NOT a sludgy smear.

The orange leads me to believe you may have some rust coming from inside the wall. If there is a leaky pipe in there, or a pipe that ‘bleeds’ water that has condensed on the outside of the pipe, the water could be causing the pipe (or something else made of iron) to leak inside the wall. You might have to tear out the wall to get to a leaky, rusty pipe.

The second place I would look is at your daughter. She may be coloring her hair orange when you aren’t looking. She also may have insomnia. And as she stumbles down the hall in the dark every night, she is haphazardly running into the wall. The orange hair is at just the right height to smudge coloring onto the wall. Try shampoo to help you scrub the hair color off the wall.

I’d check for leaks, but don’t discount your insomniac, orange-haired daughter.

2 Comments:

At 17/10/05 9:48 AM, Blogger daltongirl said...

I KNEW you were going to call me on the crusted sludge issue. It was once sludge, but is now crusted. Is that so hard to figure out?

And now I'm going out to get the sledgehammer, so I can take out that wall. I just hope it's not a bearing wall. That would be disappointing.

 
At 20/10/05 9:48 AM, Blogger daltongirl said...

Okay, now I've found the orange stuff on the underside of my desk, and on the outside of the drawers. This stuff hasn't been around long enough to have crusted. It's more like a gel. Like that slime stuff that they make into little hand shapes, and put a string of it on the end, and then they fling it at the window and it sticks. Only this stuff doesn't just pop right off. It's evil. I think perhaps an exorcism might be in order.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home